Signs of new growth everywhere – Spring is well underway now.
Today at last was bonfire day, calm and sunny. We couldn’t light it yesterday because as soon as the caravaners had gone home and it was safe to start the fire the weather turned and the wind was far too strong.
Once lit we burned the box full of old file papers from home to save having to shred it all and then I had to run round pruning everything in sight, that can be pruned at this time of year, to get it all on the bonfire before the fire went out. I do like to wait until I can see some nice new buds appearing so I have something to cut down to – I am always nervous about pruning too hard lest I kill the plant altogether but most of the shrubs had plenty of strong healthy buds. As usual I did not manage to get all the pruning done – we have far too many shrubs and so the rest will have to wait for another visit if it is not too late in the season.
I did give our new loppers a good testing though and my arms a serious workout. I now have serious aches and pains too and extreme muscle fatigue and can hardly lift them to drink my cocoa tonight – but it did get me out of doing the washing up.
Hope they recover for the morning we have packing and cleaning to do.
After the mammoth pruning session I attempted to weed the stream bank border that is full of …you guessed it campion. Such lovely wild flowers but a border full of campion is a campion too far. Hidden amongst the campion I came across some more of those annoying wild garlic plants posing as bluebells, the leaves are similar, but their days are numbered as I have now become an expert at differentiating between them.
I managed to uncover the two Hydrangeas and Geraniums that I knew were somewhere in there and barrowed away 4 bags of weeds which will go to the landfill site on our next visit. So by the end of today I have part cleared all of our borders but actually finished none…oh well tomorrow is another day and the weeds will still be there on our next visit.
DH has done better and has completed the ditch clearing and the water has drained away so quickly that in an instant the muddy puddle where the pond had overflowed is now completely dry again. I can’t say the Primula are happy about that though as they were enjoying being waterlogged.
Tomorrow before we go home we need to cut some chicken wire to put around some of the more attractive plants (attractive to bunnies that is). They seem to love nibbling the young new shoots of my Delphinium and Dicentra and chicken wire is the only way to stop them.
I didn’t even stop today to take photos – hopefully I will tomorrow when I try to get some pictures of the inside of the cottage to do my long overdue update.
A day painstakingly pruning – producing positive results. x
Thank you for all the lovely comments about my cards – there really was not much effort to it but I enjoyed making them and using up some of the craft mountain I have accumulated – and will enjoy the savings I make too.
Welcome to my new followers – I hope you enjoy the journey.