- Heat 2 tbsps oil (I use olive oil or rapeseed) in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add a chopped leek, an onion and a stick or two of celery.
- Add your favourite chopped fresh herb – I use parsley or tarragon or even a sprig of thyme to vary.
- Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add 500g of chopped mushrooms – any combination work
- Cook for 3 mins until browned
- Add a peeled, diced potato to thicken
- Add about 700ml stock (I use vegetable for a vegetarian soup but you can use chicken stock). Adjust the amount to suit.
- Bring to the boil and simmer over a reduced heat for about 25mins.
- Season and puree with a stick blender.
You can add more sliced, browned mushrooms when serving if you wish and garnish with a swirl of cream or add parsley and Parmesan and throw in some croutons.